Legend has it that the term honeymoon comes from a type of fermented honey wine that newlyweds would drink during the first full moon cycle of their marriage. Said to promote fertility and unify them as a couple, it was the sweet start of the couple’s life together. Though we may have moved on to pinots and cabernets, the honeymoon is still an idyllic and incomparable way to take in all the joy of a new marriage. Here are our picks for five incredible honeymoon spots that deliver on romance and luxury:
1. Sandals Grande St. Lucian: Honeymooners have long sought refuge on this luxurious island dotted with lush mountain peaks and quiet coves and beaches. Ideally located on its very own peninsula, the Sandals Grande St. Lucian has miles of sheltered beaches and calm Caribbean waters. For the ultimate in honeymoon privacy, try a Beachfront Rondoval Suite, which features personal plunge and whirlpools, along with personal butler service. (Trust us; you didn’t know you were missing a butler on your vacations until you have one.) As an added (and relatively rare) perk, the resort offers unlimited scuba diving, or take a day trip to La Soufriere, the world’s only “drive-in” volcano for a romantic dip in the therapeutic sulfur springs.
2. Excellence Punta Cana: Looking for endless palm grooves and blemish-free beaches? Then Punta Cana is a great bet. With a backdrop that looks straight off a postcard, Punta Cana delivers with its luxury resorts and secluded sandy coves.The extremely well-appointed Excellence Punta Cana delivers the ultimate five-star honeymoon, from its nine international restaurants to its chic spa and secluded beach. Even though the resort has a decidedly romantic and quiet ambience, there are plenty of activities to keep you busy, from jogging paths to dancing lessons and horseback riding excursions.
3. IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Rose Hall: What’s not to love about Jamaica’s easygoing attitude, friendly locals and great beaches? For honeymooners craving relaxation, but still within reach of Montego Bay’s glitzy and fabulous amenities, look no further than the IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Rose Hall. Part of IBEROSTAR’s signature collection of luxury properties, Rose Hall has sweeping colonial style and was constructed as an adults-only enclave. From their gastronomy dining experience to their private poolside cabanas, there will be plenty of opportunities to cozy up and enjoy quality time together.
4. Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado: The Samaná Peninsula is an idyllic and remote community in the Dominican Republic known for its eco-excursions, whale-watching and prime fishing. With a commitment to preserving this stunning land, the Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado has managed to create a five-star, jungle enclave on its own private island, while still carefully preserving the island’s greenery and natural beauty. For honeymooners looking for adults-only luxury, Cayo Levantado will deliver with its dreamy beaches and plush canopy beds in the expansive suits. Though you may never want to leave the room, it’s worth venturing out to Los Haitises National Park, a gorgeous labyrinth of cavles, inlets and mangroves for a romantic excursion.
5. Barcelo Bavaro Beach: Though we doubt you and your sweetheart would get bored lounging at one of the world’s top 10 beaches, rest assured: Barcelo Bavaro Beach is stunning both on and off the sand. Recently renovated, this dreamy, adults-only resort has a keen eye for details, from the water beds and massage chairs in the pool area to the vibrant night programs in their casinos and clubs to keep you entertained well into the night. The resort also includes access to the facilities at Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe, including their Olympic-sized pools and hydrotherapy circuit at the spa.